Yuvraj Singh candid after retirement

New Delhi: One of India's favorite son, the man who had a major hand in India's two World Cup triumphs, the World T20 in 2007 and the World Cup 2011 Yuvraj Singh after his retirement from International Cricket spoke his heart out as he addressed a number of issues and the way he thought about current Indian setup.



Former India all rounder Yuvraj Singh has claimed that the team management let him down towards the latter part of his international career and he could have played another World Cup after the 2011 heroics if he had enough backing.


Yuvraj had his say on the retirement

"Regret that I couldn’t play another World Cup after 2011. There was hardly any support from the team management or people around. If that support was there then may be I would have played another World Cup,”

“I never thought that I would be dropped after being the man-of-the-match in two out of the 8-9 matches I played after the 2017 Champions Trophy. I got injured and I was told to prepare for the Sri Lanka series,” the left-hander recalled.




“Suddenly I had to go back and prepare for the yo-yo test at the age of 36. Even after I cleared the yo-yo test, I was told to play domestic cricket. They actually thought that I wouldn’t be able to clear the test due to my age. And that it would be easy to decline me afterwards.
“I think it was unfortunate because a guy who played international cricket for 15-16 years, you need to sit and tell him upfront. No one told me and no one told Virender Sehwag or Zaheer Khan either,” Yuvraj added.
Despite feeling letdown, Yuvraj said he has no regrets about quitting the game and feels his retirement timing was right.
“There were plenty of things on my mind. I felt that the World Cup 2019 has started, the team has moved forward. I wanted to play some cricket out of India. Life was not going forward, it was stressful.
“I was just wondering when to retire. I got married a few years before so I wanted to focus on my life. The end of my career became a bit of burden for me,” he said.
“If I wanted to play a league outside India then I had to retire and I thought it was the perfect time. Things were not going in the right direction so I thought it was the perfect time for younger guys to take the team forward and for me to hang my boots,” he added.

Yuvraj Singh when asked about Virat Kohli's Workload management:
"Earlier there were only two formats so it was easy for a captain to manage. Now there are 3 formats, If the load on Virat is more than maybe they should try somebody else for the shorter formats. Rohit has been very successful," Yuvraj Singh told AajTak.
"I don't really know. They have to decide how much workload Virat can take. Do they need to try somebody else for T20? It completely depends on how they want to go for the future. Virat has been the best batsman. How to manage his workload? It is completely team management's call."

When asked about current Indian setup:
"It is very stupid to think that we (Team India) have to bat deep. In the last 3 to 4 years during every IPL auction, most of the money is spent on the bowlers. The think tank needs to understand that you have to have main bowlers like Jasprit Bumrah, Yuzvendra Chahal, Kuldeep Yadav. Especially if you are playing on flat tracks, you need very good bowlers. You need really good bowlers to win the World T20. Yes, we have a great batting side. We have Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma. Middle-order you know, Shreyas Iyer has done very well in the ODIs. So batting is not an issue but you need bowlers to win the World Cup. My thinking is it is very easy to hit pacers but to reach out to the pitch of a delivery bowled by a spinner may create problems for you."

Yuvraj Singh on Rohit Sharma as Test opener:
"If you ask me, Rohit Sharma should have opened in Tests from the beginning of his career. You play him one match and then drop him and say Rohit Sharma is not scoring runs in Test cricket. How can you expect someone to perform without giving him 10 Test? Now if you are making Rohit Sharma to open in Test matches, you should give him 6 Tests and tell him Rohit, you have got 10-12 innings, go and play your game, nobody will say anything. You gave so many chances to KL Rahul, so whoever is your opener, give him those 6 Test matches so that he can go and express his game. Many players failed in the early part of their career, Virat failed in England, Cheteshwar Pujara failed in England and Australia but they stuck to them and look at there performance in Test cricket now. So you need to secure these players."
Catch Yuvraj Singh's full Interview:



Related Posts

0 Comments:

Post a Comment